The Writing Center has two conferencing options for getting help with your papers in any class. Reach out! Follow the guidelines below.
- Email Consultation: Email your paper to email@example.com. The email should include
- your paper as an attachment,
- a copy of the directions for the assignment,
- and clarification of the three things on which you would like the writing consultant to focus. (Choose from: Brainstorming or outlining, hook, thesis, topic sentences, paragraph development, transitions, in-text citations, conclusion, coherency and unity, MLA APA or Chicago formatting)
- We will respond to your paper by return email as quickly as possible during consulting hours, usually within 24-48 hours.
- Zoom Consultation: Make an appointment for a face-to-face, virtual consultation via Zoom. Fill out the request form, and we will respond to you as quickly as possible during consulting hours, usually within 24-48 hours. You will receive a confirmation email that also includes pointers to prepare for your Zoom conference and the link to join on the day of your appointment.
Consulting Hours: Starting Wednesday June 10th, writing consultants are on duty Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 am – 2:00 pm. However, you can submit your paper or make a Zoom appointment any time of day.
We are here to help! The Writing Center staff is ready to support any part of the writing process, from brainstorming to in-text citations. You can also find quick answers, tips, and resources at the Writing Center resource page.
When we return to campus, the following information will be updated.
The Writing Center, located in D-201, is here to help IVCC students in any class through all stages of the writing process. We also offer help and resources for faculty.
Make an Appointment
For traditional tutoring:
- In person: Room D-201
- By phone at 815.224.0637
- Use the online form. (Please allow two business days for appointments to be scheduled using the form.)
- To make an appointment at the Ottawa Center, call 815.224.0800 or stop by the front desk.
Appointments are preferred, but walk-ins are welcome when tutors are available.
Looking for a place to write? Sit in our dedicated computer bank, known as the Writers’ Workshop, where tutors circulate periodically and are available to answer quick questions.
All Tutoring Services
The IVCC Writing Center offers several ways for students to get writing help, including an Online Writing Center for online students, and phone consultations for off-campus tutoring. Learn more about our tutoring services here!
The IVCC Writing Center’s tutor training program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association as a Level One International Tutor Training Program. We are proud to include seven certified tutors on our staff, along with two professional tutors with decades of teaching and tutoring experience! Learn more about the IVCC Writing Center Tutor Training Program.
Richard Publow Memorial Awards in Writing
Visit the Richard Publow Memorial Awards in Writing page to learn about the contest and submit your essay.
We encourage students and faculty to provide feedback about tutors, tutoring sessions, or services by filling out this confidential feedback form.
Score BIG is a Blackboard game designed to help students discover the free learning support resources at IVCC, in order to increase student retention and success. Students may compete individually for prizes, or classes may compete for a class prize.
Are you new to Score BIG? Visit the Score BIG libguide to sign up and learn more!
Visitors to the Writing Center can earn points in Score BIG! Simply visit the Score BIG Blackboard and click on “Dig Deeper” to complete the activities for points–no special passwords required!